Blog Stats

Thursday, September 1, 2016

SKIPPACK FIRST FRIDAY: North Penn Arts Alliance Gallery Opening Featuring Artist - Gay Brunt Miller

skippack art gallery show featuring the north penn arts alliance

Exhibiting Artist

Gay Brunt Miller 
I think of myself as an “accidental artist,” as my art has really developed only within the past several years, beginning with the encouragement of my spiritual director while on silent retreat weekends.

My primary art form is called a mandala--a meditative art form within in a circle. It is a way of engaging and expressing a different part of my being—less cognitive and word-driven and more intuitive and emotive. Some are very personal, expressing my deepest feelings. Others are pure relaxation and a creative outlet.

With roots in ancient Buddhist and Hindu practices, mandalas are also widely incorporated into Christian art. Many stained glass windows in churches incorporate mandalas.

Beginning with a compass, I draw the large outer circle. Most often I find myself staring at the circle for some time until I get a sense of what that particular mandala “wants to be” and what colors I am drawn to use. Rarely do I begin with a specific design in mind. Rather, the design emerges a step at a time. I think I am often as surprised as anyone by the finished product. I work with markers, ink, and in some cases, pencil (primarily used for shading effects).

Recently I have begun incorporating more Zentangle® patterns into my mandalas (known as Zendalas) as well as creating other Zentangle® inspired art (not necessarily in a circle).

I hope you enjoy my art…as much as I enjoy making it! – Gay Brunt Miller

About the Show


GREEN WOLF’S VILLAGE BARN SHOPPES
In the East Village of Skippack
4010 west skippack pike     skippack pa     19474

Proud members of the
Valley Forge Tourism and Convention Board

Follow First Fridays in Skippack Village on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment