for are featured artist...
About the Artist
Katharine Krieg (b. 1970) is an artist whose work has been seen as Contemporary American Realism. After earning her degree in Art Education, she lived in Europe for several years and travelled about with her sketchbook and materials. She now maintains a studio in Montgomery County, PA where she gathers subjects from the fields, buildings and farms found nearby. The quality of light in different places and how it behaves on various objects and at different times of day fascinates her. Katharine has recently begun to explore these things along the rugged coast of New England and the artist colony on Monhegan Island, Maine as well.
When she finds a subject that captures her interest her usual method of work begins with a study stage. A preliminary sketch is done in pencil or watercolor. Photos can be taken but she prefers to sketch directly from life as this gives a more intimate knowledge of the subject. Also, it is very satisfying to sketch from life. Although some paintings are completed on location Katharine will usually take her "plans" back to the studio to complete the final work. She has found watercolor to be the medium that holds the most successful avenue for achieving the effect she works toward.
She is honored to have been accepted into regional and national open juried exhibitions as well as invitational art shows. Her work can be found in collections along the east coast from Virginia to Maine.
"I feel fortunate to have an ability that leads me to look at the world in a way that results in a strong feeling of appreciation and joy. My paintings are my answers to what I see around me. My goal in my work is to convey a sense of "pausing" for a moment of quiet introspection. It is my hope that the viewer will connect with that which inspires me and keeps me coming back to paint."
Katharine has been a practicing artist in the medium of watercolor for over 15 years and has exhibited in open and juried shows throughout Pennsylvania. Her work can be found in private collections in Pennsylvania and Massachussetts. She is a member of the American Watercolor Society, Pennsylvania Watercolor Society, Philadelphia Watercolor Society, Greater Norristown Art League, Perkiomen Valley Art Center and Pottstown Area Artist Guild.
- Pennsylvania Watercolor Society -- 30th Annual International Juried Exhibition -- Reading, PA
- Philadelphia Watercolor Society -- Artist and Gardener Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE
- Historic Yellow Springs Invitational -- Chester Springs, PA
- Schuylkill Friends Meeting -- Quakers in the Arts -- Phoenixville, PA
- The Hill School -- Pottstown, PA
- Keystone National -- Mechanicsburg, PA
- Birdsboro Community Fine Arts Invitational Show -- Birdsboro, PA
- Art-Splash on the Square National Open Juried Competition -- Graham, TX
- John James Audubon Annual Juried Fine Arts Show -- Mill Grove, PA
- Berks Art Alliance -- Reading, PA
- Branch Creek Community Church -- Harleysville, PA
- CHROMA Gallery -- Skippack, PA
- First Citizens National Bank -- Mansfield, PA
- Gallery on High -- Pottstown, PA
- Gmeiner Art Gallery -- Wellsboro, PA
- Goggleworks -- Reading, PA
- Greater Norristown Art League -- Norristown, PA
- Perkiomen Valley Art Center -- Harleysville, PA
- Pottstown Area Artist Guild -- Pottstown, PA
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Pottstown – Pottstown, PA
- Foulkways at Gwynedd - Lower Gwynedd, PA
- Chester Springs Studio – Chester Springs, PA